COMPANY / HISTORY
More than 100 years service and confidence.
Barthels + Lüders GmbH was founded in 1875 as a small steel and copper forge at Steinwerder – an island in the Elbe river – just opposite the city of Hamburg.
Sailing ships, coming from South America with fertilizer, where the first marine customers. Barthels + Lüders quickly managed to adapt its facilities and skills to the rapidly following generations of steam ships. The steady growth of the company and its reputation worldwide gives evidence that we have always managed to meet the requirements of our clients.
Clear targets, suitable investments in buildings, machinery and equipment made it possible to grow to the position as one of the leading partners for shipping and industry. Since the demise of the last member of the “Lüders Family“, Barthels + Lüders GmbH was integrated into the Blohm + Voss Group of Companies and continued its activities on an independent and self-supporting basis. The principles of business policy today are the same as more than a hundret years ago. Flexibility is imperative to meet the constantly changing challenges of the market and to maintain the confidence of our partner in our first class service.